The New Year is hours away and with that comes reflection and hope for change. How many times have you actually followed through with your goals for the New Year? The problem with resolutions and goals is that they are based on a future outcome, making it hard to picture them as a tangible and real result here in the present. Therefore, I am no longer setting goals, but rather setting daily standards that will allow me to start achieving success TODAY.
Here are 6 tips to get you focused and ready to dominate your life in the New Year:
1. Set a (1) daily standard for all areas of your life: Physical, mental, emotional, financial and your relationships.
2. Be realistic yet optimistic! Don’t push yourself to an extreme. You want to stop eating fast food? Why not start off by eliminating one food chain from your diet. Your Standard: “I will not eat at (write here the name of the fast food chain of your choice).”
3. Write it down. Putting your standards down on paper makes them feel real and concrete.
4. Think positive. Your thoughts create your world. If you fill your mind with negativity expect nothing but negativity to be your reality. Take every negative thought that may hinder you and reverse it to a positive one.
5. Share. Tell your friends and family about your new standards so they are aware and can help support you.
6. Be consistent. Consistency kills competition and if you want to see success you need to stick to what you started. Those standards you have now implemented will lead to positive results for you.
Here are also a few examples of common new year resolutions that can be made into daily standards.
New Year Resolution: I am going to get a better paying job.
Your Standard: Every week I am going to apply to at least 3 job listings that I qualify for.
New Year Resolution: I am going to lose 20 pounds this year.
Your Standard: I am going to work out 3 days a week and/or I am going to eliminate soda and other sugary drinks from diet.
New Year Resolution: Pay off my credit card debt.
Your Standard: I am going to save $50 a week toward my bills.
Stick to your standards and watch your life change for the better!
What do you hope to achieve this year?
Happy New Year!
Nicole Colon is a lifestyle blogger and designer from Long Island, NY, who is reinventing what it means to be “bad” by empowering women to discover their inner B.A.D. Girl and be Beautiful, Authentic and Determined. She provides her readers with tips, advice and fashion that aim to inspire them to get what they want out of life. Check out Nicole’s blog at www.stylemebad.com