I’ve found that my favorite Halloween costumes have been the ones that I created myself using items from my closet. This can sometimes require a little bit of creativity, but with the internet at our fingertips and Goodwill stores at our convenience creating a do-it-yourself (DIY) costume can be fun and more importantly affordable!
I am really inspired by all things 90’s related and Cher from the iconic movie Clueless was my absolute favorite! So I was thrilled when I spotted these two yellow skirt suits at the Goodwill Store on 2nd ave (b/n 88th & 89th) that would make perfect costumes!
Tips for DIY Costume Shopping at Goodwill:
- Give yourself a budget for how much you are willing to spend on your costume and stick to it. I think $25 is doable!
- Search the web for ideas and inspiration that you can print and take with you as you shop.
- Check all departments (women, men, kids) because you never know what you will find or what has been misplaced.
- Purchase jeans or tops that you intend to destroy, rip or cover in dirt and fake blood from a Goodwill to save on retail costs.
- Remember that when recreating a costume it doesn’t have to be an exact match.
- Be creative and have an open mind!
If you don’t want to create your own DIY costume make sure to still check out your local Goodwill to see if they are selling actual Halloween costumes and accessories before you visit a costume store and pay full price!
Will you be dressing up for Halloween?