Lipstick, cherry, tomato – any way you call it, we’re seeing red this season. GoodwillNyNj’s resident thrift expert Emme Bonilla has done her research at the local Goodwills, and she’s all fired up on how to make this work for you, your wardrobe and, best of all, your budget. This week’s Trend Watch Thrifting pick: red hot fashion!
In Fall 2009, the fashion world trumpeted the red as the must-have hue for the season. Fall 2010 repeated its love for the bold color (scroll down to #5). In 2011… Well, you get the idea. Red is here to stay. And why not? It’s a vibrant shade that packs a punch. It commands attention and will always make a statement. Whether you dare to do head to toe or make it pop against neutrals, find your next red hot item at your local Goodwill…
Keep In Mind:
- Experiment with new shapes – Take the opportunity to try that neckline you’d been afraid to wear. Consider intricate or nontraditional construction of the garment. Don. That. Jumpsuit. You cannot hide in red, so why play it safe? Take a risk… you just might go wild with the results!
- Pick the right red – There are literally hundreds of reds and there’s a right one for you. Take your skin and hair color into consideration; you might find a deeper blood red more flattering or maybe an warm tomato red is best.
- Red + shiny = awesomeness – The runway was filled with ruby frocks that glistened and glittered… Don’t be left out! Red patent leather heels might be brazen, but it definitely gives your outfit a kick!
- Don’t forget the outerwear – Don’t cover up the red, wear it on the outside too! Red coats will not only perk you up, they will make everyone around you smile!
Wearing The Trend
- Red Head To Toe – If you want to be the girl that makes heads turn, take the plunge with a monochromatic ensemble. The key is to mix textures. Take a nod from Rodarte and wear a sparkly red skirt with a matte shirt. Or like Michael Kors, wear a fluffy coat with a pantsuit. The differences in the material keep in interesting.
- Break Out Your Crayon Box – You can make a red top or skirt the centerpiece of your outfit by pairing it with neutrals. Black and red is a very dramatic combination, perfect for a party outfit (add a splash of gold, to channel Diane Von Furstenberg’s runway outfits). Camel and red are a sophisticated option, as well as red and gray. This fall, try pairing it with oranges or plum colors. The look is very rich and elegant. My favorite color combination is red with aqua, such a fresh duo!
- Just a Splash – Too shy to go all out? No worries, that’s what accessories are for! I love red accessories and lucky for me (and you!) there are tons of options at Goodwill. And since red is such a stand-out color, it’s easy to spot.
- Take It to the Pavement – My very own list of essentials must include red shoes. They are the perfect outfit topper (or bottom-er, rather)… a flash of color in every step. Find your very pair at Goodwill today!