Hear that? It’s the sweet sound of Fall Fashion. This week, our Emme gives in to the siren song of cooler breezes and colored leaves and sets her sights on a Goodwill Essential perfect for autumn (and tailor-made to guarantee a low cost per wear this season): the blazer.
Summer’s making its exit, but that’s no reason style has to do the same. The blazer is one of my favorite no-fail go-to’s when the weather cools down – so thank goodness that Goodwill is full of fantastic options to choose from!
Why is it essential?
Blazers add an extra dose of polish, a flash of sophistication, as well as providing an additional layer for chillier days. For work or for play, you can always count on a blazer to bring an outfit to the next level. It will class up a pair of jeans, give an edge to a floral dress, and show the office who’s the boss.
Here’s what to look for:
- Fit is everything – When it comes to a tailored item, fit is the most important thing. Single breasted blazers with one or two buttons are the most flattering for most body types. If you are petite, look for a blazer that hits between your waist and the top of your hips. If you have a large bust, a blazer that has darts in the waist will give you a more hourglass shape. Avoid boxy or double breasted blazers, they tend visually widen your frame.
- Feel the fabric – Search for a light-to-medium weight wool blazer, you’ll be able to wear it 3/4 of the year layering more items as it gets colder. Check out details like a satin lapel or buttons that make the piece stand apart.
- Keep to a neutral color – Black, grey, camel… This will ensure its versatility with the rest of your wardrobe. Of course, if your closet is a dark sea, consider a bright color for a pop!
- Pattern? No problem! – A subtle pinstripe or plaid patten is a nice detail that still keeps it refined.
Tip #1: If you find a great quality blazer (brand name, nice lining, sturdy construction–especially buttons) and it’s slightly larger, get it to a tailor for a perfectly fitting piece that you will reach for time and time again. The extra money will be a worthwhile investment!
Wondering what to pair your essential blazer with? Here’s a few of my favorite ways to wear it:
- I love to wear my blazers with jeans and a printed t-shirt!
- On cooler days, I’ll add a hoodie under the blazer for a casual yet put-together look
- Dresses, long or short, look even dressier up with a blazer
- My favorite office-chic outfit is pairing a non-matching skirt and blazer (say, a black pencil skirt with a grey pinstripe blazer) with a top that can easily transition from work to after-hours in a flash!
Tip #2: Goodwill sells many skirt and pant suits. If you find one that fits well, snap it up! You’ll be able to wear the pieces together or separately: a super deal!
P.S. Hot on the tails of my last Trend Watch Thrifting post on polka dots…
… I snagged this cute wiggle dress with tiny pink spots on navy blue. LOVE!