Our Emme is walking tall – and she wants you to do the same! With last week’s Optimal Play flirty skirt, who can blame her? Whether you pair them with dresses or jeans, though, this week’s Goodwill Essentials post makes for a good time. So here it is, the essential of the week: high heels.
“Give a girl the correct footwear and she can conquer the world.” — Bette Midler
I am, unabashedly, a lover of shoes. I might not always go for a practical pair, but new shoes always bring a little spring to my step. And hey, we all need shoes, right? So instead of blowing my rent on shoes, I turn to Goodwill to satiate my shoe thirst.
Why Is it Essential?
The right pair of heels elevate any outfit from okay to oh, wow! They can bring elegance, glamour, sexiness, and confidence with little effort. Heels will never (ever) be a fashion don’t.
Here’s what to look for:
- For a pair that will last through years and years, go for a classic pump shape with a more rounded toe. Pointed toes feel dated and aren’t as versatile.
- Keep the heel to a mid-level height. 2 1/2-3 inches make you stand proud without toppling over.
- A neutral color will get the most wear. If you only own one pair, go for black. Like the LBD, black heels go with everything. If are looking for other options, consider greys, browns, or plums.
- Another color option is a shoe that matches your skin tone. This creates an optical illusion that elongates the leg and makes you seem taller!
- Classic styles don’t equal plain! Although you want to steer away from details like bows or straps, don’t discard elegant fabric folds or a subtle embossed animal print. These make your pair unique and more interesting. For myself, a must-have are black patent leather pumps. They are the perfect combination of classic style and va-voom vampiness.
A note on fit:
- If they pinch or are too big, put down the shoes and move on. Trust that the perfect pair will come along soon enough!
And how should you wear your essential heels? Don’t even fret – you can’t mess these up… though you can make them pop with these little tips:
- Dresses and skirts will get an oomph with heels.
- Pant inseam too short? Roll them into cuffs and rock them cropped. It shows the shoes off!
- Dress up shorts with heels, just avoid pairing them with jean shorts.
- When the temperatures start dropping, wear black opaque tights with black heels to have that leg-lengthening effect.