The big fashion houses have big fashion price tags, and it’s easy to get discouraged when a pair of shoes can cost more than your rent. But stop that sulking, fashion fans! GoodwillNyNj’s resident thrift expert Emme Bonilla is here to share the tricks to finding the latest runway looks at your local Goodwill. This week’s Trend Watch Thrifting pick: prints!
The runways have been proving that bigger is better — bigger prints that is. Designers showed a bevy of lush and large graphics, showcasing flora and fauna alike. Read on to find out how you can nab your very own extravagantly printed threads and how to rock them!
Keep in Mind:
- A classic shape – With vibrant colors, go for clean, simple garments. Now is not the time to try an asymmetrical hem or intricate tailoring. An A-line skirt, a scoopneck top… shapes that work for your body type. This way the item will be more versatile and will work better with the rest of your wardrobe.
- Don’t stop at florals – Although flower prints are always popular choices, don’t disregard animal prints or fruits!
- Take a cue from high fashion – Go for large, grand prints that pack a visual punch. Pick vibrant colors instead of soft pastels.
Wearing the Trend:
- Go all out – Mixing prints can be tricky to pull off but looks incredibly chic when done right. The key is to stay in the same color scheme. Also, try to vary the sizes of the prints between the different pieces (look at the Cacharel collection for inspiration).
- Make the print the visual focus – If mixing prints sounds too flamboyant, keep it simple with only one printed item and keeping the rest of the outfit neutral. Olive, greys, and metallics are your best bets.
- Conservative dresser? – You can still be on trend by sticking to a black and white print, but make sure to add a colorful accessory to make the print pop!
- And if your work dress code is very strict… you can still wear the trend via the ultimate printed accessory: a colorful scarf! Don it as a belt or simply tie it on your handbag for a stylish touch.