Summer’s here! But along with rising temperatures come rising temptations – how can you keep your closet fresh but your bank account solid? With Optimal Play, of course, a new Goodwill feature joining the ranks of Goodwill Gems, Trend Watch Thrifting and Goodwill Essentials. This week’s pick – how to get “optimal play” out of a new-to-you pair of spot-on summer-ready cropped, colored trousers. Emme Bonilla leads the way…:
While researching in different Goodwills for my latest Trend Watch Thrifting post, I came across these great looking cropped trousers – J. Crew and only $5.99! They had a soft washed texture, a fantastic fit and an bargain price. No question about it, these came home with me that very day. And so the real challenge begins: how to get the most use out of a great find without ever feeling dull? Well, here you go – one find, three ways – Optimal Play success!:
Option #1: Layering a Striped Shirt
- Paired with a jean jacket and pretty wooden wedges, this outfit screams weekend brunch.
- For a sleek city look, experiment wearing a vest and metallic heels. Swipe on some lipstick, pull up your hair, and you’ve got a date night look! (P.S. It’s what I wore for mine last Wednesday!)
Option #2: Color Me Blocked
- Like I mentioned in Trend Watch Thrifting, colorblocking is taking the fashion world by storm. A simple tee in a contrasting color packs a punch, and why stop there? Play with your accessories, like pretty purple heels or a shocking neon belt.
- If the color explosion seems a bit overwhelming, swap out the colored t-shirt for a white one and keep the bright accessories. The look will be softer but still fashion-forward.
Option #3: From the Office… to the Boardwalk
- Turn a “Casual” Friday at the office into Fabulous one! A classic chambray shirt plays prim to the sassy bright trousers. Flats keep you comfy in your cubicle and accents like a skinny patent leather belt and a pretty necklace make the look polished.
- And keep the Friday rolling into the weekend as you head to the beach with the same pieces! Roll up your pants, tie your shirt at your waist, slip on some sandals and a straw hat (don’t forget the sunscreen!)… Did anyone say The Hamptons??
How would you wear these colorful trousers? Do you have any recent Goodwill purchases you’d like us to style? Share with us your style tips by commenting here, tweeting with us and posting on our Facebook page. Until next time!